Friday 27 April 2018

Hidden narratives found in Hanley park

As well as documenting the changes of the park, I have found some interesting things that have given me ideas on the narratives, memory and time themes of my artworks. For example, the tracks of footsteps and tyres made by people show where people made their walks around the park before. A love-lock on one of the bridges that makes me think: 'who is that couple? Are they still together this day?' I saw lots of graffiti and writing on the inside of a gazebo, which makes me wonder who wrote these? What do they mean to the people who wrote these? Most of them are fading away, which proves they're old, but how long? All these leave hints at other people memories and their stories made around the park, which I may never know the whole story. I also found a tree where a past artist has carved animals into it, like a totem pole, that tells stories about themselves, according to culture of them. I could look further into that? I also found a graffiti painting done by what looks to be the Hanley Park Community Arts Projects. Maybe graffiti can be a medium to use in my exhibition since it's used widely in the park? These are all site-responsive ideas found in the park.
I hope to find more stories however and wherever I can in this area. These will contribute to my exhibition artworks.
A totem pole sculpted by a past artist in Hanley park, leaving his mark.




Graffiti I found on the inside of the gazebo by the public.

A love lock found on the one of the bridges.
A past community art project?



Tracks and footprints found in the mud and snow.


No comments:

Post a Comment