Friday 27 April 2018

Artworks for exhibition

All of my chosen artworks to be in the exhibition are site-responsive, triggered by Hanley Park. My collection of photographs that I've taken in the park, influenced by Andy Goldsworthy's photography. I walked around the park and searched for whatever natural materials I could find (e.g. leaves, twigs, branches, stones, chipped wood, etc.) and improvised with whatever opportunities I saw and made patterns with them, then photographed them. With these printed out, I'll present them in the exhibition and set out a small map of where I made them, for people to find them if they want, to see what changes they have been through, since I made them. What time does to things. (Look in 'Collections of Natural Forms' and 'Hedge Laying Training' for these artworks).
I've been influenced by Goldsworthy a while before, so making works outside feels a bit rusty. But presenting photography on its own and unedited is a first for me. I feel out of my comfort zone a little because I'm used to photorealism in paintings.
On Tuesday 6th February, I printed out the first of these photographs, which is a collection of unedited photographs on oyster-type paper to display together. I'll laminate them later.
I just need to ask Anna Francis for any guidance on what materials I could use to put them up on a wall professionally.
Continuing with other artworks, I've produced in the studios through the months January and February), these are a smaller series of edited photographs and google images named 'Convergence Collection'. These show the changes between the possible past and the present. This was my first time in a long while in using Photoshop. It was tricky to get used to again but after asking for help several times, I got used to it again while learning new techniques in Photoshop.






I've produced 6 paintings in oil paint and acrylic paint on MDF boards, which are the mediums and materials I'm more used to. These first two are influenced by Jackson Pollock's action painting. Through the flicks of the paint, it signifies the movement of people and of birds. It's evidence of how time exists. This is based on one of the weekly park run I attended.
This was when I was observing the behaviour of birds flying over the pond area.
These two are in oil paint. One features the totem pole I found created by a past artist. Another artist left his mark in the park, therefore creating his narrative to learn in Hanley park.
This one merges different footprints or tyre tracks I found around the park. They are proof of people walking their routines. Again what they leave behind. This one is more abstract/surrealist.
A 3rd oil painting of a love lock I found on one of the bridges in Hanley park on my walks. This is evidence of a possible true narrative that happened in this area.

I first painted this signifying the live symbols from Greek mythology I found in Hanley Park. Seeing the swan reminded me of Leda and the Swan. Seeing the changes from winter to spring made me wonder: 'Is Persephone out of the underworld now?' Linking the Persephone and the pomegranate seeds.
These 2 artworks were originally going to be presented separately, but when put together, they had a slightly new perspective and context. The love lock and the swan link with the symbol of love. It's a direct modern reference with deity of love in mythology. The background
I painted 3 small pieces of paper, in acrylic paint, of a bannister where the spikes are at different stages in time. From brand new to completed decayed. These are different spikes but people might mistake them for the same one, which would be interesting.
This work is my first introduction to graffiti. In my walks, I've found lots of graffiti around the park, I copied and merged a small number of them on a wooden board and paper together. Graffiti tells a number of narratives that I don't know completely but they gives clues about them, like evidence left behind and found. The audience might recognise them as theirs. Who knows?




No comments:

Post a Comment