Friday 27 April 2018

Beginning of Changes in Hanley Park (from walking)




From the first couple of weeks in semester 2 (8th January-24th January, 2018), I've visited the park 3 times taking photographs of the small changes I've seen happening in the restoration of the park. I'll include changes of the seasons/weather if I can. The photographs may be the artworks I will produce for my small exhibition. I'm picturing them on the 2 gazebos near the now taken-down band stand or wherever area of the park is not sealed off for the restoration. Putting my documentation on a public Facebook page would be good. I'll ask if they have a page of the park already. In the process of the restoration, so far, the area by the College is the most newest and main bridge is currently being worked on. In the possible artworks I'm producing, it's photography more than paintings, which I am more used to.
So far, in my process of taking photos of the park with some time in between, the experience is like visiting art galleries, only more than once. You are seeing the changes of each individual object/landscape around you. It's like the 'walking' experience, where you don't just casually walk a routine, but you try to notice things all around you in using your senses more carefully. I've haven't worked outside this long before and despite the weather sometimes, its been fun working with nature and photography. I'm quite new to editing photographs on Photoshop, so its a bit of a challenge for me, but the experts on Photoshop at Staffordshire university can help me.
In my visits, I'm creating a narrative, memories and a timeline of myself in walking around the park because, in how time works, it includes movement of people, nature, objects and everything (Time is an illusion'). When you look back at those places where you walked, you can picture yourself walking it like before. Also, how time changes man-made and natural things, when you look at the old photographs and the recent ones. That's the funny thing about time. These will give me ideas for my artworks in my exhibition. I will continue walking in my routines and documenting the park for as long as I can, while trying to make decisions about my artworks and my exhibition date. It'll will depend on how my production of artworks. It'll have to be at the end of February or early March.
I've also look on google for old photographs of the park most likely before I first visited the park, to see the real time changes, between them and my own recent photographs. This is one of my methods in using 'found objects' in my work. In this case 'found images' for me to work with. For example: the fountain. This was the first area to be changed in the restoration and successfully too.

Image result for hanley park

The bridge so far is going through the most change in my exploring of the park (See next entry).
The Boat House has looked slow, but it has changed much in history along with other things.


The Band Stand has changed as well but very slowly.
Image result for hanley park band standImage result for hanley park

The building and band stand is now covered with fences and/or scaffolding and is in slowly but surely changing of being restored. There is also some posters on the fences about the restoration and the past projects taken place in the park. 

Image result for hanley park building


You'll see more changes in the next post of the next few weeks: 'Changes Continued'...




No comments:

Post a Comment